POWERS AND DUTIES OF CENTRAL GOVERNMENT OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES
The powers of the officers and the employees are derived from the various Government rules, instructions, executive orders etc. issued from time to time by the respective nodal departments. The officers and employees of a Department exercise powers and perform duties as delegated to them by various Government Departments such as Department of Personnel, Ministry of Commerce, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Home Affairs, Ministry of Defence and other nodal departments. The nodal Ministries/Departments viz. Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, and Ministry of Finance etc. are the custodian of these Rules/Manuals. These Rules/Manuals/Instructions are under the direct control of these nodal Ministries/Departments and amendments to these rules are also undertaken by these Departments from time to time. These rules guide the financial and administrative transactions in day to day processing/dealing of various cases, whereas authority/power to process a particular case is derived from the above said Rules/Manuals. Procedure for performance of secretariat work has been laid down in the Manual of Office (MOP) and the Notes on Office Procedure (NOP) which is issued and controlled by the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances. All Government Departments follow the procedures strictly in accordance to the procedure as outlined in the MOP. Amendments in the MOP are also carried out by the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances from time to time.
INDICATIVE LIST OF GOVERNMENT RULES AND MANUALS
- General Fundamental and Supplementary Rules.
- Traveling Allowance Rules.
- CCS (Leave) Rules.
- Dearness Allowance and Dearness Relief.
- HRA and CCA.
- Pensions Compilation.
- CCS (Commutation of Pension) Rules.
- CCS (Extraordinary Pension) Rules.
- Central Government Employees’ Group Insurance Schemes.
- Staff Car Rules.
- Medical Attendance Rules.
- CCS (CCA) Rules.
- CCS (Conduct) Rules.
- General Provident Fund (Central Services) Rules.
- Leave Travel Concession Rules.
- Children’s Educational Assistance.
- General Financial Rules.
- Delegation of Financial Power Rules.
- House Advance Rules.
- Suspension and Reinstatement.
- Overtime Allowance Rules.
- Contributory Provident Fund (India) Rules.
- CCS (Revised Pay) Rules, 1997 – Fifth Pay Commission.
- Central Treasury Rules.
- CCS (Temporary Service) Rules.
- Re-employment of Pensioners – Civilians and Ex-Servicemen.
- Advances to Central Government Servants.
- Central Government Account (Receipts and Payments) Rules.
- Seniority and Promotion in Central Government Service.
- Reservations and Concessions for SCs, STs and OBCs.