WEEKLY TRAINING FOR ALL ITS EMPLOYEES
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, PG & Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
New Delhi, 17th October, 2014
Subject: To start in-house Weekly Training in all Ministries/Departments
In this era of rapid transformation and heightened expectation of prompt and effective public service delivery, Government has initiated a number of reform strategies/steps aiming at improving the Knowledge, Skill and Attitude (KSA) of its employees thereby empowering them to function in citizen-centric manner. The effectiveness with which the new policies are implemented will largely be dependent on the quality of civil service administration and the ability of its members to operate effectively in the changed environment. This requires a continuous focus on training of employees, who are our most important asset. An important part of valuing and managing them effectively is to ensure that they have access to relevant, high quality, accessible and on-going training.
- At present, the senior civil servants are exposed to a number of training programmes at different stages such as induction training, mandatory mid-career training, in-service training etc. These trainings are mostly organised service wise and within services at same level. Perhaps there is no training being imparted at Ministry/Department level covering all its Group B and C employees on same subject.
- A need for starting in-house training in each Ministry/Department was emphasised by the Hon’ble Prime Minister during the presentation of the Ministry of Personnel, PG & Pensions on 12.09.14. Such training session in each Ministry/Department should ideally have 45 persons and should be for duration of one hour to be held on weekly basis. Subjects and master trainers could also be identified in-house for this purpose.
- The objective of an hour in-house weekly training is to provide training to all employees of the Ministry/Department on a regular basis without dislocating their work. This being in-house training, there may not be any additional financial burden as well. The Departments would be free to choose training topics as per their requirements and utilise in-house expertise for imparting training. This will also help in achieving the National Training Policy 2012 objective of training of all employees.
- Following the directions of the Hon’ble Prime Minister, the Department of Personnel & Training has started in-house weekly training for its employees which was inaugurated by the Additional Principal Secretary to PM on 9th October 2014. All officials from LDC up to Under Secretaries will be nominated in batches of 45-50 and the training will be conducted every Wednesday from 10.00 am to 11.00 am. You or your representative can attend this training after giving prior intimation, so that your Ministry/Department is familiarised to start in-house training.
- Accordingly, all Ministries/Department are requested to start hourly in-house weekly training for their employees up to Under Secretaries immediately. In case the Ministries/Departments require training module on a particular subject to be developed/ procured, they may either contact the Institute of Secretariat Training & Management (ISTM), New Delhi or get it sourced through their own training institutes. The tentative learning schedule of DOPT is enclosed. If any assistance in this regard is required, kindly let DOPT know.
- It is also requested that action taken may be informed to this Department for apprising the PMO.
(Sanjeev Kumar Jindal)
Director (Trg.) Tel. No: 26107960