Appointment of Chief Information Commissioner in the Central Information Commission.
- No.4/7/2014 — IR
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
(Department of Personnel and Training
North Block, New Delhi
Dated: 24th October, 2014
Subject: Appointment of Chief Information Commissioner in the Central Information Commission.
- The Government of India has constituted a body under the Right to Information Act, 2005 (the Act) known as the Central Information Commission to exercise the powers conferred on and to perform the functions assigned to it under the Act. It is located in New Delhi. The Commission shall have the Chief Information Commissioner and upto ten Information Commissioners. The powers and functions of the Chief Information Commissioner in the Central Information Commission are as per the RTI Act.
- It is proposed to appoint Chief Information Commissioner in the Commission. The Act provides that the Chief Information Commissioner shall be person of eminence in public life with wide knowledge and experience in law, science and technology, social service, management, journalism, mass-media or administration and governance.
- Further, the Chief Information Commissioner shall not be a Member of Parliament or Member of the Legislature of any State or Union Territory, as the case may be, or hold any other office of profit or connected with any political party or carrying on any business or pursuing any profession. It is clarified that cessation/termination of holding of office of profit, pursuing any profession or carrying any business is a condition precedent to the appointment of a person as Chief Information Commissioner.
- The Chief Information Commissioner shall hold office for a term of five years from the date on which he enters upon his office or till he attains the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier. The salary and allowances payable to the Chief Information Commissioner shall be the same as that of the Chief Election Commissioner, subject to adjustment of the pensionary/retirement benefits availed by him, if any, in accordance with the provisions of the Act.
- Persons fulfilling the criteria for appointment as Chief Information Commissioner and interested for appointment to the post may send their particulars in the enclosed proforma by post to Under Secretary (RTI), Department of Personnel and Training, North Block, New Delhi or through e-mail to usrti-doptnic.in by 24th November, 2014. Persons who are serving under the State/Central Government or any other Organization, may send their particulars through proper channel.
Tel No 23092759