Revision of pension of pre-2006 pensioners – 30th July, 2015
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, PG & Pensions
Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare
3rd Floor, Lok Nayak Bhawan
Khan Market, New Delhi
Dated the 30th July, 2015
Sub:- Revision of pension of pre-2006 pensioners – reg.
- The undersigned is directed to say that as per Para 4.2 of this Department’s OM of even number dated 1.9.2008 relating to revision of pension of pre-2006 pensioners w.e.f. 1.1.2006, the revised pension w.e.f. 1.1.2006, in no case, shall be lower than 50% of the sum of the minimum of pay in the pay band and the grade pay thereon corresponding to the prerevised pay scale from which the pensioner had retired. A clarification was issued vide DoP&PW OM of even number dated 3.10.2008 that the pension calculated at 50% of the minimum of pay in the pay band plus grade pay would be calculated at the minimum of the pay in the pay band (irrespective of the pre-revised scale of pay) plus the grade pay corresponding to the pre-revised pay scale.
- Several petitions were filed in Central Administrative Tribunal, Principal Bench, New Delhi inter alia claiming that the revised pension of the pre-2006 pensioners should not be less than 50% of the minimum of the pay band + grade pay, corresponding to the pre-revised pay scale from which pensioner had retired, as arrived at with reference to the fitment tables annexed to Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure OM No.l/1/2008-IC dated 30th August, 2008. Hon’ble CAT, Principal Bench, New Delhi vide its common order dated 1.11.201lin OA No.655/2010 and three other connected OAs directed to re-fix the pension of all pre-2006 retirees w.e.f. 1.1.2006 based on the Resolution dated 29.8.2008 of the Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare and in the light of the observations of Hon’ble CAT in that order.
- The above order was challenged by the Government by filing Writ Petition No.1535/2012 in respect of OA No. 655/2010 and WP No.2348-50/12 in respect of the three other connected OAs in the High Court of Delhi. The Hon’ble High Court in Its common Order dated 29.4.2013 noted that the DoP&PW had, in the meanwhile, issued an OM No.38/37/08-P&PW (A) dated 28.1.2013 which provided for stepping up of pension of pre2006 pensioners w.e.f. 24.9.2012 to 50% of the minimum of pay in the pay band and grade pay corresponding to pre-revised pay scale from which the pensioner had retired. Hon’ble High Court observed that the only issue which survived was, with reference to Paragraph 9 of OM dated 28.1.2013 which makes it applicable w.e.f. 24.9.2012 instead of 1.1.2006. Hon’ble High Court of Delhi dismissed the Writ Petition No.1535/20 12 along with three other Writ Petitions vide its order dated 29.4.2013. Special Leave Petitions (No.23055/2013 and No.36148-50/2013) filed against the said order dated 29/412013 of the Hon’ble Delhi High Court have also been dismissed by the Hon’ble Supreme Court.
- Accordingly, in compliance with the above judicial pronouncements, it has been decided that the pension/family pension of all pre-2006 pensioners/family pensioners may be revised in accordance with this Department’s OM No.38/37/08-P&PW(A) dated 28.1.2013 with effect from 1.1.2006 instead of24.9.2012. Further, this benefit has already been granted to the Applicants in OA No. 655/2010 vide OM of even No. dated 26/08/2014 read with OM dated 19/09/2015 following dismissal of SLP (C) No.23055/2013 by the Hon’ble Supreme Court.
- In case the consolidated pension/family pension calculated as per para 4.1 of O.M. No.38/37/08-P&PW (A) dated 1.9.2008 is higher than the pension/family pension calculated in the manner indicated in the O.M. dated 28.1.2013, the same (higher consolidated pension/family pension) will continue to be treated as basic pension/family pension.
6. All other conditions-as given in OM No. 38/37/08-P&PW (A) dated 1.9.2008, as amended from time to time shall remain unchanged.
- Ministry of Agriculture, etc. are requested to bring the contents of these orders to the notice of Controller of Accounts/Pay and Accounts Officers and Attached and subordinate Offices under them on a top priority basis. All pension disbursing offices are also advised to prominently display these orders on their notice boards for the benefit of pensioners.
- This issues with the approval of Ministry of Finance ID Note No. 1(9)/EV/2011Vol.1I dated 24.7.2015.
- Hindi version will follow.