NFIR – Up gradation of Junior Accounts Assistants GP 2800 to GP 4200 in Railways….
National Federation of Indian Railwaymen
3, Chelmsford Road, New Delhi – 110 055
The Secretary (E),
Sub: Upgradation of Junior Accounts Assistants GP 2800 to GP 4200 in Railways – Implementation of the VII CPC recommendations (Para 11.62.15)-reg.
- In the Railways, the Junior Accounts Assistants are recruited from the open market through Railway Recruitment Boards. The Candidates with Graduation as qualification are required to face written examination conducted by RRBs and once short- listed, have to appear in an interview. An examination in typing skills had also been introduced in Railways. Based on the combined marks secured in both the written examination and the interview, the RRBs assign them based on which the seniority is fixed and appointments given. The RRB rank goes a long way in determining the seniority in the panel for Appendix 3 IREM qualification and also in other examinations for selections to Group B Gazetted posts.
- The directly recruited JAAs through RRBs are compulsorily required to qualify in the Appendix 2 IREM examination for their confirmation in the posts. If they fail in the Appendix 2 Examination in two attempts, they have no choice but to quit the job as their services will be terminated. Para l7I(4) (iv) of IREM Vol. Il
- The VII CPC has recognized the importance of App.2 and 3 IREM examinations while dealing with the Accounts Department pay structure. The Pay Commission has stressed the direct recruitment stage with Combined Graduate Level Examination (CGLE) in its report as placed below: –
“Para 11.62.14 of the VII CPC report: – It has been demanded that the pay scale of Auditor/Accountant may be upgraded from GP 2800 to GP 4200. It has been stated that the recruitment to the post of Auditor/Accountant is by promotion from Clerks/Typists under seniority quota, promotion under examination quota and direct recruitment through a Combined Graduate Level Examination (CGLE) conducted by the Staff Selection Commission. It has also been pointed out that their job profile demands greater audit/accounting skills which justify higher pay scale.”
Under Analysis and Recommendation, the VII CPC has stated the following:
“Para 11.62.15: The Commission notes the CGLE is held for recruitment for different posts in GP 2800, GP 4200 and GP 4600. This Examination consists of written examination and interview. A candidate is given the choice to appear only in the written examination” or both – written examinations and interview – depending upon the post for which he/she is an applicant Applicants who have to clear both the written examination as well as the interview are eligible for recruitment for posts carrying higher grade pays of GP 4200/GP 4600. Applicants who do not have to clear the interview and are selected only on the basis of written examinations are placed in GP 2800. Although Auditors/Accountants are selected through CGLE, they are selected only on the basis of written examination- The Commission, therefore, recommends replacement pay levels for Auditors/Accountants. “
- In this connection, NFIR contends that since the VI CPC has recognized the Accounts Department of Indian Railways as belonging to ‘Organized Accounts’ alongside Audit & Accounts, the dispensation recommended for Audit & Accounts will have to be extended to the Accounts Department of Railways as well in the case of JAAs as their recruitment is also through CGLE-Combined Graduate Level Examination conducted by RRB (in the case of Audit & Accounts, it happens to be Staff Selection Commission and both recruitment Bodies are on similar pattern) followed by interview.
- Therefore, the grade pay of JAAs in Railways needs to be upgraded from 2800 to 4200 pursuant to the analysis and recommendations of the VII CPC (Part 11.62.15). Consequently, since the present AAs are of GP 4200, the following structure should fall in place: JAA-4200, AA-4800, SSO(A)/Sr. TIA/Sr.ISA-5400 (It is relevant to note that GP of 4600 does not exist in the hierarchy of Accounts Department as per the Gazette Notification issued pursuant to VI CPC recommendation, while it is taken for the limited purpose of MACPS).
NFIR, therefore urges upon the Railway Board to take necessary action for upgradation of JAAs to GP 4200/Pay Matrix Level 6 and revise the pay structure of Accounts Department Cadre in Railways as proposed vide para 5 above.